Cookies info
This page last updated: 27th March 2012
The website is subject to a Disclaimer

How Equality Act 2010 applies to adult communication impairments in Britain

  1. Introduction
  2. Disability
  3. Discrimination
  4. Employment
  5. Services
  6. Education
  7. Advice & links

Advice & links menu:

This website has been produced by the
Communications Forum.
Communications Forum logo

Sources of legal help and advice

This page does not give recommendations, simply information on possible sources of help and advice. Some sources may not apply to the whole of Great Britain.

Equality and Human Rights Commission helpline

This includes disability discrimination under the Equality Act 2010. There are different phone numbers for England, Wales and Scotland, or you can write in. See

There are proposals to replace the EHRC helpline: New arrangements for information, advice and support on discrimination and human rights (link to

Charity helplines

Charities dealing with particular communication disabilities may well have helplines which can help. They may not necessarily be equipped to give legal advice. See Links on SLCN.


ACAS ( can be approached on employment issues. They have a helpline giving free help and information on work issues, and can arrange for a conciliation officer to help settle a potential or actual tribunal claim.

Trades Unions

A trades union will very often have a free legal service for their members. This will typically cover work-related disputes but some unions cover any legal problem.

Community Legal Advice

A free and confidential advice service for those eligible for legal aid. Also a link to find a legal adviser. Community Legal Advice.

Disability Law Service

May be able to give free legal advice on disability discrimination: Their website also includes a page of factsheets to download.

Citizens Advice Bureaux

CABs can often help, or may tell you a local organisation who can help. The Citizens Advice Bureaux website at helps you find your local office, and their online "adviceguide" gives basic advice and information on your rights.

Law Centres

Law Centres may provide free advice if you live or work in the catchment area. The Law Centres Federation website ( tells you about them and helps you find if there is one in your area.

Private solicitors firms

You can go to a solicitors firm. You should check they have expertise in the area you want. Find a solicitor (link to

Free legal advice and assistance may be available through 'legal aid' for those with a low income. See Legal aid (link to A different scheme operates in Scotland.

You may have home, car or other insurance which covers you for legal expenses, and may include fees of a solicitor to advise and represent you.

A solicitor may also be able to offer advice on a 'no win no fee' basis. You should discuss this with the solicitor, including whether in the circumstances there are any further costs you might have to pay (such as court fees, or the other side's legal costs).

Court service disability helpline

For issues with courts (civil and criminal), try the Court Service Disability helpline on 0800 358 3506. This may help on such things as problems giving evidence, arguing a case, taking the oath with a communication disability, and other things to do with the courts. (See also In court: examples of cases.)